our
HISTORY
MOUNT ZION BAPTIST CHURCH KNOXVILLE CHURCH HISTORY
The history of the Mount Zion Baptist Church of Knoxville, Tennessee, spans 164 years, a tremendous achievement for an African-American organization. Mount Zion Baptist Church of Knoxville is older than Knoxville College, established in 1875; the NAACP, established in 1901; and Emancipation Proclamation, established in 1863. This church on the hill has spread the gospel of Jesus Christ in the Knoxville Community for more than five generations. Establishing Ministry through family, Mount Zion's pastoral lineage established programs and philanthropic partnerships that allowed the church to grow, develop, and thrive in this changing global community. Mount Zion began as part of the First Baptist Church of Knoxville, founded in 1843. In 1860 a group of three "colored" persons set out to form the First Baptist Church, Colored. An East Knoxville home served as the beginning of the church; however, the formal recognition of the church did not occur until Rev. T. Embry assumed the duties of the pastorate. A split lead by Rev. William Howell formed what is now known as Mount Olive Baptist Church (1869). After the split by Rev. Howell and having grown to a membership of over 150, and having purchased land on Patton Street, the congregation constructed a building on that property at a cost of $2,000. The church was then renamed Mount Zion Baptist Church. Rev. Armstead, although short-tenured, was able to finish the frame building started by Rev. Howell. Rev. C. C. Russell, fourth pastor of Mount Zion, endured another split which formed Rogers Memorial Baptist Church (1882). Over the next period of nine years, between 1873 and 1882, Mount Zion was spiritually fed by seven distinguished pastors: Rev. Dr. W. G. Parks, Rev. Dr. W. R. Brown, Rev. Dr. L. A. Carter, Rev. Clarke, Rev. Dr. Matthew W. Gilbert, Rev. Dr. William H. Moses, and Rev. Dr. Augustus Jones. The latest recorded split, under Rev. Dr. J. H. Henderson, led to the formation of Payne Avenue Baptist Church in 1925. During the Great Depression, Rev. J. W. Haywood was called in 1926. Despite troubling times, the debt of Mount Zion was reduced by raising as much as $10,000 through rallies. Rev. Haywood's fundraising success allowed the church to remodel and improve its facilities. The Rev. E. W. Dickerson (Dixon) succeeded Rev. Haywood and ministered for only one year before returning to his home church. Rev. Dr. D. Albert Jackson served Mount Zion between 1933 and 1948. He formed the Board of Christian Education and the Fall Lecture series, which consisted of Young People's Day, Men's Day, Women's Day, Great Revivals, and Musicians. Notably, during his tenure, the Mount Zion kindergarten program was established. In 1948, Rev. Robert E. James was called to serve as pastor. Rev. James established many church programs, including the Girls Scouts, the Young Adult Choir, and the Missionary Federation. During Rev. James' pastorate, eleven black churches in East Knoxville were forced to move because of the Urban Renewal Project. The congregation acquired approximately fourteen acres on the hillside of Brooks Road and built the more than $400,000 edifice. Rev. James retired from Mount Zion in 1972 and was bestowed the honorary title of Pastor Emeritus. The Rev. Dr. William Douglas Booth assumed the reigns of leadership in October 1973. Under his leadership, Mount Zion resurfaced the east and west wings of the parking lot, paid off the mortgage on the original Brooks Road sanctuary, and built a new sanctuary addition. Rev. Booth established many programs which included Lenten Services, Leadership Council, Radio Services Ministry, Memorial Trust Fund, Insurance for employees, new personnel policies, purchasing of land for parking across the street, and organized Ministry for Ministers of the city - K.I.C.M.A. Rev. Robert L. Littlejohn accepted the pastorate of Mount Zion in 1984. In addition, to the continuation of the Bond Program, Rev. Littlejohn started an evening Bible Study and expanded the duties of the hospitality committee to include a "welcome" to our visitors. A Pictorial Directory was published to assist the Church family in becoming better acquainted with one another. Rev. Littlejohn stated, "the better we know each other the better we can work and worship together." Reverend Dr. Johnnie William Skinner, Sr. came to serve as Pastor of Mount Zion in 1991. Under his pastorate the debt for the new sanctuary was paid off and defective areas of the parsonage restored. Dr. Skinner has recognized women empowered by the Holy Spirit: the first female associate pastor, two female deacons, and a second licensed female minister. Dr. Skinner promoted the establishment of a strong inner-city Community Outreach. Among the ministries under the leadership of Dr. Skinner include: the Just Lead Ministry, the Decoration Ministry, the Senior Adult Ministry, Youth Pastor, Youth Detention, Cross Trainers, Lay Ministry, Children's Choir, Council of Ministries, Financial Management Team, Griffitt Mass Choir, Kitchen Committee, Men's Bible Class, Nursery Ministry, Outreach Ministry, Parish Nurse Ministry, Volunteer Rescue Ministry, Young Adult Ministry and The Literacy Imperative Center.
The history of the Mount Zion Baptist Church of Knoxville, Tennessee, spans 164 years, a tremendous achievement for an African-American organization. Mount Zion Baptist Church of Knoxville is older than Knoxville College, established in 1875; the NAACP, established in 1901; and Emancipation Proclamation, established in 1863. This church on the hill has spread the gospel of Jesus Christ in the Knoxville Community for more than five generations. Establishing Ministry through family, Mount Zion's pastoral lineage established programs and philanthropic partnerships that allowed the church to grow, develop, and thrive in this changing global community. Mount Zion began as part of the First Baptist Church of Knoxville, founded in 1843. In 1860 a group of three "colored" persons set out to form the First Baptist Church, Colored. An East Knoxville home served as the beginning of the church; however, the formal recognition of the church did not occur until Rev. T. Embry assumed the duties of the pastorate. A split lead by Rev. William Howell formed what is now known as Mount Olive Baptist Church (1869). After the split by Rev. Howell and having grown to a membership of over 150, and having purchased land on Patton Street, the congregation constructed a building on that property at a cost of $2,000. The church was then renamed Mount Zion Baptist Church. Rev. Armstead, although short-tenured, was able to finish the frame building started by Rev. Howell. Rev. C. C. Russell, fourth pastor of Mount Zion, endured another split which formed Rogers Memorial Baptist Church (1882). Over the next period of nine years, between 1873 and 1882, Mount Zion was spiritually fed by seven distinguished pastors: Rev. Dr. W. G. Parks, Rev. Dr. W. R. Brown, Rev. Dr. L. A. Carter, Rev. Clarke, Rev. Dr. Matthew W. Gilbert, Rev. Dr. William H. Moses, and Rev. Dr. Augustus Jones. The latest recorded split, under Rev. Dr. J. H. Henderson, led to the formation of Payne Avenue Baptist Church in 1925. During the Great Depression, Rev. J. W. Haywood was called in 1926. Despite troubling times, the debt of Mount Zion was reduced by raising as much as $10,000 through rallies. Rev. Haywood's fundraising success allowed the church to remodel and improve its facilities. The Rev. E. W. Dickerson (Dixon) succeeded Rev. Haywood and ministered for only one year before returning to his home church. Rev. Dr. D. Albert Jackson served Mount Zion between 1933 and 1948. He formed the Board of Christian Education and the Fall Lecture series, which consisted of Young People's Day, Men's Day, Women's Day, Great Revivals, and Musicians. Notably, during his tenure, the Mount Zion kindergarten program was established. In 1948, Rev. Robert E. James was called to serve as pastor. Rev. James established many church programs, including the Girls Scouts, the Young Adult Choir, and the Missionary Federation. During Rev. James' pastorate, eleven black churches in East Knoxville were forced to move because of the Urban Renewal Project. The congregation acquired approximately fourteen acres on the hillside of Brooks Road and built the more than $400,000 edifice. Rev. James retired from Mount Zion in 1972 and was bestowed the honorary title of Pastor Emeritus. The Rev. Dr. William Douglas Booth assumed the reigns of leadership in October 1973. Under his leadership, Mount Zion resurfaced the east and west wings of the parking lot, paid off the mortgage on the original Brooks Road sanctuary, and built a new sanctuary addition. Rev. Booth established many programs which included Lenten Services, Leadership Council, Radio Services Ministry, Memorial Trust Fund, Insurance for employees, new personnel policies, purchasing of land for parking across the street, and organized Ministry for Ministers of the city - K.I.C.M.A. Rev. Robert L. Littlejohn accepted the pastorate of Mount Zion in 1984. In addition, to the continuation of the Bond Program, Rev. Littlejohn started an evening Bible Study and expanded the duties of the hospitality committee to include a "welcome" to our visitors. A Pictorial Directory was published to assist the Church family in becoming better acquainted with one another. Rev. Littlejohn stated, "the better we know each other the better we can work and worship together." Reverend Dr. Johnnie William Skinner, Sr. came to serve as Pastor of Mount Zion in 1991. Under his pastorate the debt for the new sanctuary was paid off and defective areas of the parsonage restored. Dr. Skinner has recognized women empowered by the Holy Spirit: the first female associate pastor, two female deacons, and a second licensed female minister. Dr. Skinner promoted the establishment of a strong inner-city Community Outreach. Among the ministries under the leadership of Dr. Skinner include: the Just Lead Ministry, the Decoration Ministry, the Senior Adult Ministry, Youth Pastor, Youth Detention, Cross Trainers, Lay Ministry, Children's Choir, Council of Ministries, Financial Management Team, Griffitt Mass Choir, Kitchen Committee, Men's Bible Class, Nursery Ministry, Outreach Ministry, Parish Nurse Ministry, Volunteer Rescue Ministry, Young Adult Ministry and The Literacy Imperative Center.